Thursday, September 2, 2010

Nostalgic nibbles

It may be that I'm feeling a bit sad that summer vacation is nearly over, and my place of work will no longer be inhabited by screaming, spoiled wee brats. It may be the office supply store's back to school commercials running on an endless loop reminding us of pencil sales. It may be the return of the CNE. Whatever the underlying motivation, I find myself drawn lately to the snacks of yesteryear. The kind lovingly made by a parent, the kind that, though healthy, are hidden under a fog of fun. For me, nothing says childhood like peanut butter, a luxury by today's rigid standards for allergy free environments. When was the last time you had apple slices and celery sticks and peanut butter dip? You were probably building a LEGO housing development at the time.

How about freezies?

Hot dogs?

Kool-aid?

I've spent the summer reacquanting myself with the foods that we all tend to "grow out of." Truth be told, I've had a lot of time on my hands.

One other elementary school snack I've been craving is veggies and ranch dressing. With my endless list of food sensitivities, dairy and MSG being among those, store bought salad dressing is pretty much out of the question. But oh how I missed the subtle distinct flavour of ranch! Luckily, like anyone reading this, I have internet access. I found a great Ranch recipe that uses yogurt instead of the usual sour cream or buttermilk, and I made it my own.

1/3 cup mayo
2/3 cup yogurt
1 teaspoon dried dill
2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste

Whisk everything together. That's it.
Pairs well with carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, and cartoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment