Sunday, November 28, 2010

Paranoid much?

Discovering you have a food allergy changes your life. Eating was once a carefree activity, restaurants were magical places, dinner parties, a joy. But alas, no more. I'm perpetually afraid that lurking around every corner is some hidden wheat or dairy waiting to ruin my day and my insides. For example, were you aware that both Twizzlers and Mentos have wheat in them? Bologna has dairy in it? Mind you, in those instances it's likely the universe is telling me I can do better, food-wise. So yes, I am paranoid. I won't eat anything if I can't clearly see all the ingredients. I shy away from sauces, dressings, and pre-made seasonings. I've adapted.

As the weather has approached arctic, I have been increasingly in the mood for any food that's finished with bread crumbs. Comfort food. Nostalgic nibbles from my childhood. I was recently craving my mom's meatloaf, moist inside, crunchy bread-crumby outside, flavoured with multiple meats (and their accompanying fat) and fried onions. When I called her for the recipe, I found that it called for seasoning salt, something I never use in my cooking and never have in the house because it typically has MSG in it (another pesky allergen). What I did have in the house were all the ingredients to concoct a suitable replacement. For me, the only difference between this and store-bought seasoning salt is the lack of MSG-induced migraine! Yay!

1 part celery seed
1 part paprika
1 part onion powder
1 part garlic powder
6 parts sea salt
pinch of oregano

Mix.
Store in an air-tight container.

Season your meats with this, but remember, it's still mostly salt, so don't over-do it. I advise using an air-tight shaker to store this, so you don't accidentally pour the whole shebang out and ruin your meatloaf. What a crime that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment